Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Simple Life


The thing I love most about living in Nigeria so far is the simplicity of my life out here. It would be naïve, patronizing and almost certainly inaccurate to say that people in developing countries live more simply than we in the West do – having only seen how a handful of Nigerians live, I couldn’t possibly make that judgment. But my life here is far less complicated than it was at home. With frequent loss of power, no television, and a far reduced social life, I have more time to read, and think – and just be. It’s calmer, less frenetic, less guilt-ridden. I don’t have long to-do lists and somehow, even though household tasks should take longer out here (e.g. hand washing), there’s not that same feeling of ‘I really should go and…’every time I sit down.

In large part I suspect that’s to do with my job. I’m not saying volunteering isn’t challenging – far from it. Working within an entirely different culture in an ill-defined role can, at times, be hugely frustrating and confusing. But it’s less hectic; not only because I’m a volunteer and am supposed to be supporting and facilitating rather than jumping in and doing things, but also because the work ethic is very different out here. Added to which, the lack of power and computers means there is no email culture, which in turn means communication takes a LOT longer and slows the decision-making process right down.

I had worried about my health while I‘m volunteering: 18 months without a trip to the dentist, limited fruit and vegetables available, lots of fried food and meat… But actually (malaria aside) I think I was wrong to worry. A lot of ailments back home can be attributed to stress and so I actually feel much healthier here, where I’m not stressed about anything and I’m getting plenty of sleep; since I’ve been out here, for example, I haven’t had a single migraine. The warmth, the sun (when it’s not pelting down with torrential rain), and the joy and laughter of Nigerian people can’t help but make you feel happier and healthier.

I have to say, it makes me a little anxious about returning to the UK. With any luck, out here I’ll learn how to take things slower and not to invest so much emotional energy in my work. But is that even possible in the UK? In a culture where people go to work bleary-eyed and clutching a cup of caffeine, work 8, 10, 12 hour days and then check their blackberry several times that evening, what hope is there of taking things slower? When you’re trying to dress in ironed, sexy-yet-professional (and I’m quoting from Cosmopolitan here) Top Shop clothing and heels, work a 10 hour day making high-powered pitches and winning deals, come home and cook a Nigel Slater ‘quick supper’ for the family, spend an hour playing with the children and putting into practice Supernanny’s naughty-step-and-reward-chart routine and then finally reply to the many messages on Facebook which have accumulated since you were last in front of a computer screen 2 hours ago – where’s the opportunity for taking your foot off the pedal and just enjoying life?

I think we’re back to Maslow again. When you’ve basically got everything you could want, it’s not that you find things to moan about, but when you’re at the top of the pyramid, all you’re concerned about is self-fulfillment (or I think it’s called self-actualisation). You’ve got nowhere else to go, so you just stay there finding more and more ways in which you’re not fulfilled and trying to address them. Whereas, when you’re in sweltering heat and not sure where your next bucket of water is coming from, the range of things to worry about – whilst far more serious – is far narrower and you just focus your attention on finding that water.

1 comment:

  1. SHHH!!! You're not supposed to say things like that within earshot of busy young professionals! Don't pop the bubble!

    (I went to Provincetown, Cape Cod, for the long weekend last week, and camped, and mooched, and swam in the sea, and thought "Gawd, wouldn't it be nice if this was my life?!?")


    Matthew

    ReplyDelete