Thursday, October 6, 2011

Food and other things I'm looking forward to (but mainly food)

I think that when I end my placement and return to the UK in December, I'm going to have mixed feelings about it. There will be moments when I am overjoyed by having all the things I have missed all these months, but a huge part of me will miss Nigeria enormously and will be overwhelmed with the idea of growing up and getting a job, house etc. So I've decided it would be a good idea to make a record of all the things I miss out here, so that I can look back and remember why I'm choosing to live in the UK. So here goes...

  • Friends and family, obviously - that goes without saying
  • Nice, bouncy mattresses, duvets and proper pillows that aren't as hard as stone
  • Journeys which don't make me doubt whether I'm going to be alive when I reach my destination
  • Rain which doesn't bring everything to a halt
  • Cheese, in its many varieties
  • MUSHROOMS!! And while we're on food...
  • Celeriac, fennel, BROCCOLI!!, dark green leafy vegetables, spinach that tastes right, proper yoghurt, cottage cheese, squash, dark chocolate, prawns, sandwiches, wholegrain bread, bacon, cured meats (ah prosciutto, chorizo, salami - even a pepperami would do), lovely big juicy garlic cloves, low fat spread that's real enough to need refrigerating, cheap apples, plums, orange oranges, pears, liquid milk (skimmed milk!)
  • A reliable electricity supply
  • The miracle of drinkable tap water
  • Washing up in warm water, and, more significantly, water that doesn't smell of sewage
  • Leaving doors and windows open without worrying about mosquitoes
  • The NHS
  • Landline telephones
  • Weekend papers - an actual real, paper version to hold, and smell and read
  • Debit cards
  • Health and safety laws (yes - think on, those people who feel they have got out of hand in the UK: you should try living without any at all - it's exhausting)
  • Feeling really, properly, bitterly cold

Well, that's all I can think of for now. And, if I'm honest, I was trying to make the list longer so that it will be more of a comfort to me when I leave. But if it was a list of things I'm really struggling without, on a good day I think I could relatively easily whittle that lot down to just three: 1. Friends and family, 2. the NHS and 3. Mushrooms (who knew?!). 

2 comments:

  1. Jenny,
    Just finished reading ALL your blog. Thanks for telling it as it is. I'm on VSO placement in India for the past 2 years and leave next month and for now am doing my due diligence about another placement offer in Nigeria in Zaria, Kaduna State leaving in Feb 2012 so am busy reading up as much as I can and getting all perspectives. Thank you for blogging about your experiences.

    Your comment about mushrooms made me laugh! I have them in abundance here, at the same high price as meat, in a largely vegetarian culture. Vols here dream of cheese! For me its a cold beer and a lamb chop, a nice thick slice of ham and crunchy carrots! I've realised I am well and truly meant to eat meat!

    I wish you well when you get home and hope the culture reversal shock is not too great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this - I was just drawing up a list about the things I will miss in my present environment and what to look forward to in Nigeria "miracle of drinkable water" was really funny! Your list reminded me about all the things I had left behind and might be returning to and like you, I really miss the friendly warm faces (at least for the most part)....

    ReplyDelete